Rustic decor, at its core, exudes warmth, comfort, charm and welcoming feelings to all who enter a home or office with its style. From the use of mixed materials, like reclaimed barn wood and shiplap to burlap and galvanized metal, rustic decor is a collaboration of textures to create a space that feels inviting.
Rustic decor is a popular design style that can be incorporated with other themes, like modern or farmhouse, while also being a stand-alone design. And you can tailor your decor seasonally to match the local environment. The good news is that you don’t have to spend a fortune to add rustic style to any room in your home.
Reclaimed barn wood is versatile and environmentally friendly
Whether you’re looking for a big change or small, subtle updates throughout your home, reclaimed barn wood is the most environmentally friendly option. From building a custom dining table and chairs to smaller items like picture frames, rustic decor, shelving and corbels, reclaimed barn wood is the ultimate rustic choice.
Some of our top picks for reclaimed barn wood usage in your home include:
- Framed mirror
- Sliding barn door
- Herb garden grower
- Bathroom organizer
- Entry bench
- Wine rack
- Wall art
Mason jars add the right rustic touch to any room
If you are looking for the most affordable way to add rustic decor in your home, mason jars may be the way to go. Mason jars are the perfect addition to any shelves, counters or open space you have in your home. They’re versatile, and in some ways, act as a blank slate to decorate and design based on your individual style. You can score a case of mason jars at your local grocery store or craft boutique, or even, save them from their previous use as food container storage.
Here are some of our favorite mason jar ideas:
- Paint a mason jar muted colors and use them as vases throughout your home.
- Add chalkboard labels to mason jars in your pantry, kitchen and bathrooms to label the contents in a fun and rustic way.
- Create a unique mason jar hanging light fixture.
- Add them to a reclaimed barn wood floating shelf in your kitchen to house all of your different spices.
- Include them in a hanging herb garden in your kitchen or pantry.
- Add miniature string lights on the inside of them to use as a fun night light in your bedroom.
- Decorate them with twine and burlap and display them on TV stands, entertainment centers, coffee tables or in your favorite reading nook.
Floating shelves add dimension to your space
One way to instantly change the dynamic of your space is to replace regular cabinets and centers with seamless floating shelves. These shelves have no visible brackets, instead, they hang on your wall directly. Floating shelves are a rapidly growing trend for living rooms, dining areas, bedrooms, bathrooms and kitchens. To tie in the rustic style, choose materials that match a rustic aesthetic. Opt for reclaimed barn wood or distressed wood shelves that are thicker and rawer looking than store-bought counterparts.
Our favorite ways to incorporate floating shelves are:
- Replacing a section of your kitchen cabinets with big, bold rustic floating shelves to hold your favorite (or most eye-catching dishes).
- Adding a group of floating shelves to a wall in your bathroom to house toiletries and towels.
- Outfitting your reading nook with floating shelves that act as a wall of bookcases.
- Tying in floating shelves to a focal wall in your living room to house photos, trinkets, plants and decor.
Distressed paint color can change the mood of a room
Paint color is everything when it comes to any design style. Whether you’re looking for a full room revamp with a wall-to-wall paint refresh or hoping to add pops of color with furniture updates, paint will do the trick. Remember that rustic exudes warmth and comfort, so colors should be in the same style family. Choose a deep and natural color palette to kick up the rustic vibes instantly. When updating pieces of furniture with a new paint color it may be a good idea to look into more distressed paint options as that is more in line with rustic style than a standard overall paint color.
Rustic decor in your home or office is possible on any budget. Choose options that fit your aesthetic and style without breaking the bank. Small changes can feel big if they are crafted and displayed in a wonderful and new way. Rustic decor is a style that will continue to grow in popularity over the coming years, so considering adding it to your space today.